Charles Keenan's
~ Weekly Art Journal ~
January - June 2007
Friday, January 5, 2007
With the end of vacations I thought I would begin painting, but Christmas really goes to January 6th and our tree is still up. Began bringing my art books and sketchbooks back to where I use them, and worked on some sketches. Planning to begin painting again next week for sure. Stopped by Swan Gallery to pick up my work before the gallery closes, and spoke with Ida for a while...I felt sad, but we said goodbye and wished each other happy new year.
Friday, January 12, 2007
Finally got back to painting after the holidays...continued working on a romantic painting for approaching Valentine's day, and began a second small 'complementary' painting. Produced 2 more copies of our book, Musings...considering sending copies to galleries. Began random searches for artists on the emulate deceased artists and to possibly contact living artists...and to empathize with viewers of my own art - how can I improve my presentation? I feel that random 10 minute art searches should become a regular part of my (daily?) routine.
Friday, January 19, 2007
Dropped off a painting to be included in a show at the Cheltenham Art Center. Worked very hard on completing a romantic medley of 3 paintings for February. Continued 'searching' for artists...considering contacting one...Talked to UofA about 2 of my children beginning Saturday classes there in a week or two.
Friday, January 26, 2007
Lorna and I attended the Opening Reception of "Food for Thought" at Cheltenham Art Center. Finished 3 paintings and sent out a Newsletter. Emailed an artist, admiring her response yet.
Friday, February 2, 2007
Received a nice response from Cheltenham Art Center to my Newsletter. Brought my daughter down to the start of her Saturday classes at the U of A. While she was in class I visited the Art Section of Philadelphia's Central Library, the U of A Library, and the school store. Bought some finishing varnish and  varnished about ten of my older paintings. Spent a day on sketches and developing ideas - I often feel so drained after completing a few paintings. 
Friday, February 9, 2007
Spent more time in Philadelphia's Central Library and the library at the University of the Arts. Varnished about 20 more of my older paintings...only 100 more to go. Spoke with one of my children's teachers at school. About ten years ago she had given us a book, Triptychs, by her father, Milton Rogovin, so I gave her one of my desktop Musings book. Printed out and bound 3 more desktop books. Developed ideas and sketches. Prepared 2 panels.
...the cold, snow and ice hit...schools were closed February 14
...managed to varnish another 20 older paintings. Developed an on-panel drawing for a new painting. Out of 25 receipients there were 3 nice responses to our Valentine's Day Newsletter...
While it was still warm the children treated us to tickets to a Valentine's Day Dance over the weekend...a few days after we danced the night away...
Friday, February 16, 2007
Friday, February 23, 2007
Began painting over the on-panel drawing, almost completing the painting. Varnished another 15 paintings. Dropped off a Musings book with the galleries at U of A. 
Friday, March 2, 2007
Finished one painting. Sketched out and began a second painting. Varnished another 15 older paintings - that makes about 80 varnished paintings. Worked on my web gallery to make avenues of creativity.
Friday, March 9, 2007
Finished a second painting, and almost finished a third. Varnished another 15 older paintings. Worked on drafts of my next Newsletter to unveil the three completed paintings.
Friday, March 16, 2007
A week for finishing...Finished varnishing all of my older work with a last 20 paintings.
Finished the third of 3 paintings and unveiled them with a grand Saint Patrick's Day Newsletter.
Worked on a poem for submission to a local show,
and deliberated about which painting I might submit to an upcoming show.
Worked on sketches for new paintings.
Friday, March 23, 2007
Made 2 on-panel drawings from sketches for 2 new paintings. Submitted a poem to Cheltenham Art Center's Wall of Words exhibit. Mailed one of our Musings books to Woodmere. Corresponded with UArts new Alumni Director. Received 2 nice, but brief, responses to my Newsletter.
Friday, March 30, 2007
Began painting the 2 new paintings. Prepared a third panel as I get ready to possibly do some outdoor sketching and painting next week during the children's Spring Break.
Friday, April 6, 2007
Spent two days with my children at different parks. The first was a familiar park where I sketched and met 2 couples whom I included in a sketch. The second was a new park and, although there was a couple with children, I did not feel relaxed enough to use my drawing materials. The woman even asked, but I was just too busy making sure no one got hurt playing. Began developng the earlier sketch of the 2 couples for another painting. Visited Cheltenham Art Center to see my poem included as part of their Walls of Words Exhibit. Finished framing my entry for their upcoming juried exhibit. At Woodmere Art Museum Rose, George and I saw the award winning one-act play For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls and some tap dancing both performed by UArts students. While waiting for the play to begin we walked through the museum for an hour seeing beautiful paintings from the permanent collection and the impressive geometrical designs of Edna Andrade, a former UArts teacher. 
Friday, April 13, 2007
Spent 2 grueling days painting some of the details on the painting from the park. Now I have 3 'works in progress' at about the same level - the best way to work with slow-drying oils. Began preparing the last 2 panels from my sheet of luuan...time to buy more. Attended a wonderful performance of dance, paintings, choir and orchestra music at Philadelphia's Music and Arts Festival, hosted by my son's school.
Friday, April 20, 2007
Worked full days on the 3 new paintings.
Dropped off my entry to a Juried Exhibit. 
Friday, April 27, 2007
Good news, bad news. First, the bad news: My entry was not accepted into the juried exhibit, becoming my 21st consecutive juried show rejection. I recently heard Vanna White say that before she was hired by Merv Griffin to co-host Wheel of Fortune she had hundreds - that's hundreds - of auditions. Thank you Vanna...I'll keep painting.
Now the good news: I read one of my poems on-stage at a local Spoken Word Night - the small theater applauded. Worked hard on all 3 'paintings in progress'. Almost finished 2.
Bought and began looking through a book on Gustav Klimt.
Friday, May 3, 2007
Worked hard and finished 2 paintings. Emailed a Newsletter to unveil them, together with other news. Received a few nice responses. Then went back to work on the third painting.
Friday, May 11, 2007
Bought a new sheet of luan. Began cutting it into panels through the week. Began developing a sketch. Sent out a show proposal to a gallery.
Friday, May 18, 2007
Began a painting of Summer, making Summer and Spring paintings 'in progress' to add to Autumn and Winter already complete. Printed out 3 more Musings books, still need to bind them. Prepared 3 new panels, one for the sketch I was developing last week.
Friday, May 25, 2007
Worked on my Spring painting. Made an on-panel drawing for another new painting about "couples". Finished binding 3 more Musings books. Received another commission from our local Elementary School to quickly do scenes for their June play - expecting to be very busy with that for the next 2 weeks.
Added "Our Story" to the Musings section of this web gallery.
Worked hard all week and (with some help from a dozen students) completed the scenes for our local school's new play.
Friday, June 1, 2007
Watched a wonderful performance of the play Ayanna's Hair-raising Adventure at our local elementary school. Sent out a Newsletter and received some nice responses.
Friday, June 8, 2007
Almost completed my Spring painting.
Friday, June 15, 2007
I believe I have finished 2 paintings (1 of Spring and 1 of a couple) but worked so long and hard on them this week that I am too close and need to see them again after a few days. Sent a follow-up email for the proposal I mailed to an area gallery in May. Also spent time refining the presentation of 2 themes from this web gallery.
Friday, June 22, 2007
Finished 2 new paintings and unveiled them with a newsletter. The first week of summer vacations did not leave much time, but enough for me to develop ideas in my sketchbook. Also enough time to rearrange work in my studio.

Friday, June 29, 2007
Worked on my Summer painting in progress.
Corresponded with an author, and sent him a Musings book.